This week I made Running on Veggies‘ Pre-Workout Blueberry Maca Muffins! After traveling, there are few things that make me feel settled again like a full fridge and if possible…a fresh batch of homemade something. These baked goods have the added bonus of serving as delicious fuel before a hard run. As Lottie points out, they’re also easily portable so I’ll be packing a few for Alex before his half marathon in Virginia later this month or for the RNR Savannah this fall.
Lottie breaks down the purpose of each ingredient in her blog:
- Oats: quick digesting carb it wont sit in your stomach for hours.
- Chia Seeds: If you ever read the book Born to Run you know how important chia seeds are! They ran for hours, fueled by chia seeds. This super seed is loaded with healthy fats to keep your stomach from grumbling, plus they expand in your stomach keeping you hydrated!
- Maca: A superfood known for its amazing ability to help with endurance and stamina. I purchased my maca from Thrive Market for over half off
- Bananas: A great source of potassium to keep your legs from cramping and it is also perfect fuel if you have tummy issues
- Almond Milk: Because I’m not a fan of dairy products and love the nutty flavor of almond milk, oh and hey it has tons of calcium, because healthy bones are everything to me!! (if you have nut allergies i’v made these muffins with orange juice and coconut milk both worked great)
- Apple Sauce: Instead of oil, keeping this muffin really low in fat. Because fat takes energy to digest, so lets not waste energy digesting food! Plus it gives the muffin a slightly sweet taste.
- Blueberries: Yum no explanation needed. Okay I had to– Antioxidants
I topped the muffins with flax seeds, sunflower seeds, shredded coconut and a slice of a banana because I can get a little carried away with the toppings from my pantry. It may take a little bit from the pre-workout purpose, but they taste great 🙂
What do you eat as a pre-workout snack? Would you make these?