I’m excited to link-up with DC area bloggers Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What?!, and Mar at Mar on the Run again today! This week’s theme is 5 ways to share the running love.
- Encourage a friend to run: Prick others with the running bug! Recruit a new running partner. Find someone else to chat with about your weekly mileage and daily splits. Share that running love in its most purest form by encouraging someone new to run! My enthusiasm for running inspired my father to pick up his running shoes again this spring, and he’s deeply considering running the Navy Air Force Half Marathon alongside me. On a more daily basis, I encourage my boyfriend during his training for this month’s Virginia Wine Country Half Marathon, and I can’t wait to see him cross that finish line. Whether you’re inspiring a new runner or just assuring a veteran that they got this, encouraging your friends to embrace this thing keeps the love flowing.
- Share a gift: I don’t know about you, but I’ve been know to be inspired by the occasional material good in the name of running. I recently purchase the Believe Training Journal, and it keeps me accountable to my training (it’s satisfying to write in your workout) while giving me a place to look back on past weeks and check in on my progress. I love looking back now and reading about accomplishing each new mile.
- Cheerlead others: It can be easy to compare your training or workouts to others, whether you read about them in their blogs or see it on social media, but we need to remember that we are all in different parts on our running journey. Some of us are just starting out, and others have made progress over a series of years. There are a few who are just speedsters and high mileagers from the start, but we must acknowledge that they are just not normal 🙂 Haha! But in all seriousness, throw a little good juju out in the world. Cheer on each other’s accomplishments, big and small, and you’ll be surprised how good you feel about it too! Kindness and support are easy to give and happily received.
- Join a running group: This is something I have not done yet, but it’s on my to-do list to do this spring/summer. I know there are a wealth of groups in Washington, D.C., and I’m sure my boyfriend would be happy if I shared my enthusiasm for running with other similarly-minded people from time to time. I’m sure it’s a also a great way to meet new people in this city!
- Don’t go overboard: Finally (and maybe most importantly), it’s good to know when to reign things in. Sure, I support the right to unabashedly love what you love! Why try and hide it? But I can practically see my loved ones’ eyes glaze over when I’m gushing about running for too long. Sometimes it’s good to know when to share and when to talk about something else too! No need to alienate the non-runners in your life.
How do you like to share the running love?