I’m excited to link-up with DC area bloggers Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What?!, and Mar at Mar on the Run again today! This week’s theme is my 5 favorite summer fruits and vegetables.
Spoiler: It’s all about the fruit for me…alone, topped on oatmeal, or you know, in a pie. Whatever floats your boat.
- Unquestionably, any kind of berry tops my list: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries. You name it. Different berries come into season during different parts of the summer, but I don’t discriminate. Raspberries, however, are my favorite. As a kid, it was my personal heaven when my mother would come home with them by the crate from our local market in Ohio. I ate them like candy! Still do. Don’t trust me to keep a carton safe. I also love picking them when I get the chance! One for me…one for the buckets 🙂
- Cherries also top the list. I was in the grocery store yesterday, and sadly a reasonable 2 lb bag was still approximately $16…let’s just say I’m waiting for in-season to hit so I can stock up. I might even try a pie this summer! My mother made such a killer cherry pie last summer that my sister and I begged for another before we’d finished the first. I think it lasted one day.
- Watermelon. I’m not really sure this one needs much explanation. It’s delicious, refreshing and pairs well alone or with any summer meal. Heck, I’ll eat half a mini watermelon with a spoon before I even get the chance to chop it nicely.
- Peaches. This is my favorite thing to sample at the farmer’s market, and I love picking up a few to take home.
- Last summer on a visit to NYC, I stumbled on a tiny restaurant that sold Mexican grilled corn. My friend ordered one and as soon as I had a bite of her, I was in line to buy my own. Making this is definitely on my summer to-do-list. Maybe this recipe?
What are your favorites? How do you love to eat them?