Hello, June. How great is it when the first of the month begins on a Monday? In very exciting personal news, it’s almost half marathon training time! I begin training on June 29th, and it’s officially four weeks until go-time. Thus, June’s goals will be about entering that training strong, mentally prepared and most importantly, injury-free!
I’ve spent 2015 learning to run, gaining strength and working to begin a training plan much better off than summer 2014. I was a brand new runner back then who tried to rev from 0 mileage to running three times a week, and as you can imagine, it didn’t fare well. I’m hoping this June will go much more differently…it’s actually almost been an entire year since I bought my first pair of running shoes.
- Run/walk 3x per week. This is a given, but in light of a little recurring shin pain that set back my training schedule in May, it’s extra important that my legs are used to running three times a week and that my endurance doesn’t suffer. If shin pain does recur, I’d like to walk the miles if I can do so without exacerbating pain. No excuses! Often times, the shin pain makes me feel useless, and I’m to busy getting down on myself about not being able to run that I don’t do what I can.
- Shin strengthen 4x per week. I really want this to be 7x, but I’d like these goals to be realistic, and if I’m actively doing my shin exercises 4x a week, that will do just fine! But you know, the more the better. I had such a great stretch of running December-April, but I think shin pain resurfaced because I slacked off on shin maintenance. In other news, how much can I talk about my shins?! Sorry…
- Explore the trails. For our six year anniversary, Alex gifted me a pair of Hoka trail shoes, and they have been patiently waiting in their box for a chance get dirty. Trail running makes me feel like I’m taking an adventure and not simply logging miles. It’s also one of those things that makes me think…running is just the best thing ever.
- Run a 10K. This is another May goal that I failed to see through, and I’m confident June is a great time to do it! I’d like to run a race, but if that doesn’t pan through, I would take my own 10K distance run on the road. Right now, I’m considering the Lawyers Have Heart 10K in two weeks as the race option.
- Stick to my workouts. I am excellent at writing myself a training plan and a little questionable when it comes to seeing every workout through…however, this pre-half marathon training portion is coming to a close and the real training isn’t as far off as it used to be in January. It’s time to commit to every workout, and practice fitting them in to an increasingly busy schedule.
What do you have planned for June?