In honor of today’s Friday Five and in celebration of National Running Day, I thought I would share five of the favorite feelings I get from running. Sound a little funny? Read on to see what I mean!
- The feeling when you come home from a run you almost convinced yourself to skip. I think, “I’m so glad I did that,” and feel at ease for the rest of the day — no trying to squeeze in run during a busy day or skipping it altogether. My brain is calmer, and my legs are worked and happy.
- The feeling of running through your neighborhood while everyone is still waking up. I’ve written time and time again about how waking up for an early run is not easy for me, but there’s something special about starting the day off with a run anyway. I step into the office at 9am feeling like a champ, and the peace of those early hours is hard to find at any other time.
- The feeling after you didn’t think you could run another step, but you do it anyway. You all know this one. Sure, my legs don’t love this one, but man, it feels good to prove yourself wrong sometimes.
- The feeling when you reach another new milestone. Each one is satisfying and heart-filling, and I walk around all day like I have a super, happy secret. Whether it’s another new mile marker or even as simple as a steady few weeks of pain-free running…it never gets old.
- The feeling when you just need a “fix.” The running bug is real, and lately, while I’m in hour five of my retail job or sitting through my practicum, I count down to the time I can get out there and sweat out/run out all my jitteriness.
What are your favorite feelings running gives you? How did you celebrate National Running Day on Wednesday?