There are a lot of important things that make me happy, including my family and more than decade-long friendships, but there are also many silly things that make me smile too. This week’s Friday Five is going to focus on the latter – namely: food! I’ll spare you any love notes to the important people in life (especially for my father during this week’s upcoming Father’s Day!), and share five of my favorite foods/meals/eats in Washington, D.C. Food is food, but these five things sure do make me happy. Keep in mind, while I do enjoy a plate of plant-based goodness, these things run on the more indulgent side of things. Let’s get started.
- Delicious, sugary goodness from Baked & Wired. If you ask anyone who knows anything about eating cupcakes in DC, they will send you straight to Baked & Wired and far away from Georgetown Cupcakes. Listen to them (me). They have been starting to form their own long line on the weekends, but it is worth the wait. My favorites? The chocolate cupcake of doom (chocolate cake with dark chocolate satin frosting), a slice of key lime pie, bakedwich (ice cream sandwich) and the lemon cupcake with the raspberry filling (and you know, the rest of the menu). You’ll thank me later.
- Tofu + cauliflower tacos from TaKorean. TaKorean began as a taco food truck, but you can now find them in The Yards DC or my favorite place, Union Market in NoMa. They serve a cool combination of Korean flavors with a Mexican twist. My go-to order? Three tacos — one cauliflower (the seasonal vegetable), two hoisin, carmelized tofu — with kale slaw and all the toppings. Sometimes I spring for the avocado crema, which is extra. The picky eater in me put off trying TaKorean’s food for a while (despite friend’s ravings), but man, am I glad I got over that.
- Bagels from Buffalo & Bergen. You can find me here almost every Saturday morning for a bagel and an endless cup of coffee at the counter. I usually go through phases of bagels (egg + cheese on everything, lox + cream cheese on garlic, or french toast bagel + cream cheese), and when I’m feeling particularly indulgent I’ll add a made-to-order craft soda. My favorite combination is coke + peppermint. They also have excellent cocktails and knishes if you’d like to try those as well.
- Brunch at Founding Farmers or Kafe Leopold. Okay, okay – I snuck in two places in one line! I couldn’t pick. I went to Founding Farmers after my 10K race on Saturday, and it’s also my favorite place to take visitors. The atmosphere is great, the food is delicious and reasonably price, and it never fails to make a good impression. I highly recommend making a reservation first though, especially on the weekend, because it gets busy. If you’re in Georgetown, try Kafe Leopold! It’s a little hidden down Cady’s Alley, but well worth it for their lemon/raspberry pancakes (and savory dishes). They also have a great little outdoor space to enjoy when the weather is warm.
- Date night at Dangerously Delicious Pies. This place is best enjoyed Monday-Wednesday after 5pm when you can enjoy the date night special! Bring along your partner or best friend and enjoy 2 sweet slices, 2 savory slices and 2 non-alcoholic drinks for $22. If you all order something different, you’ll get to sample four different slices! The savory pie also comes with a salad. My typical order is usually the goat cheese and spinach quiche and a type of berry pie for dessert.
Where do you love to eat in DC? Have you tried any of these places?