I’m linking-up with DC area bloggers Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What?!, and Mar at Mar on the Run again today! This week’s theme is Five Things I was Doing Ten Years Ago.
Happy almost-Fourth of July, everyone! This week I’m sharing five ways I’ll be celebrating the Fourth of July this summer. It’s a holiday that is fun to celebrate anywhere you call home, but if I may so, it’s a little extra special in our nation’s capital.
- (Obviously) Wear red, white and blue. Between my regular love for red and navy, as well as a nice supply of american flag bandanas purchased for the World Cup last year, I am ready for the occasion. I also love an extra occasion to wear red lipstick, although goodness knows I don’t need one. Red lipstick + white converse, please!
- Watch the fireworks. When I was a kid, I didn’t consider Fourth of July finished or enjoyed properly without fireworks and the feeling is still a little hard to shake. Last year I was lucky enough to have an excellent view of fireworks over the National Mall and the Washington Monument from a downtown rooftop. No place better!
- Light sparklers. And take a lot of photos. And an artsy Instagram.
- Attend A Capitol Fourth. This will be my first year braving the crowds at the National Mall since my family will be visiting for the weekend. They’re excited to catch A Capitol Fourth, a concert featuring the National Symphony Orchestra that serves as the soundtrack for the fireworks. It ends with a live cannon fire by the U.S. Army Presidential Salute Battery. God Bless America! 😉
- Eat pie. You didn’t think I was going to leave out food, did you? I want to indulge in an all-American slice of berry pie this weekend, but I won’t turn away watermelon or a hot dog if they come my way…
How do you celebrate the Fourth of July? Is your holiday also no complete without fireworks?