I feel like I need to preface this post with never say never and good for you! but not me, but let’s just say, these are five fitness trends I’ll probably never try.
- No carb diet. Carbohydrates seem to be so many’s Public Enemy #1! We all know someone (or who have been someone) who has declared that he or she is cutting carbs out of their diet entirely. Listen — your body needs carbs (the right kind); it’s an integral fuel source that feeds your brain power and fitness. When it comes to carbohydrates — quality matters. All carbs were not created equal. Quinoa ≠ french fries. Moral of the story: I will not be pronouncing a carb-free diet in my lifetime.
- Juice cleanse. Again, this might work for you, but I’m not keen to try one. For one, the cost is a big barrier. I don’t own a juicer, which prevents me from doing it at home, and I don’t foresee shelling out money for a several day cleanse. I do believe in the power of plants and better nutrition, but this just isn’t the way I want it.
- Race a mud run/spartan race/etc. I’m not 100% against this, but if I’m going to pay for a race entry fee, you can bet I’d rather spend my money on a more traditional race.
- Drink a gallon of water a day. Hold on! I know how important it is to drink water! I make sure to drink it all day long, but it is possible to drink too much water, and I don’t want to pick a quantity out of thin air. I try to drink it all day and even more so after a workout in the heat, but a 30-day, gallon-a-day challenge is not something I’ll do.
- Try CrossFit. I have read about the pros and cons of CrossFit, as well as read blogs by people who swear by it. I just don’t think it’s for me. I know the benefits of strength training and commend others for finding a form of exercise that they love…I just won’t be trying it anytime soon!
What’s a fitness trend you’ll never try? Have you ever done one of the above and loved it?