There are a few, important reasons to love August. First and foremost, it’s my birthday month! Bring on the cake and the celebration of a new year. Also, as of this morning, Alex and I officially have the keys to our first apartment together, I am actually (really) looking forward to a weekend of moving, unpacking and making this new place home. I also leave on Monday for a week of vacation, including time on Lake Michigan and trip home to Ohio. I have been abnormally stressed and anxious these past couple of weeks and know this break couldn’t have come at a better time. Good things are here!
On the running front, August brings the second month of half marathon training. Then my September race is right around the corner! Here’s what I have planned for August.
- Cross train 2x per week. I am continuing this over from my July goals. I can’t just run! I need to prioritize cross training to keep me healthy, and this could be a good opportunity to try more than just biking.
- Eat more vegetables; eat less junk. Simple. Perhaps it’s the season, but I keep finding more excuses to eat junk. Ice cream! Yes. Hot dogs! Yup. Pie! Absolutely. I want to enjoy all of these things in moderation, but not to the excess I have been lately. I’ve been tapering it off slowly, but I want to keep working at finding a balance. Also – vegetables! Making a concerted effort to up my intake and put that new kitchen to work.
- Incorporate resistance band exercises. I’m ready to make up for my total disregard of shin strengthening exercises last month.
- Continue to run/walk mileage. As tempted as I may be to run all my miles (especially when my legs feel great), the mileage is only going to increase as the weeks go on, and I think I need a little more time to get my body adjusted to the new demands of training.
- Run new places. I am most excited to run in Empire, MI during vacation (see below), but I want to make plans to switch up my regular weekly runs too.
What do you have planned for August? Are you taking any trips this month?