In the interest of posting this training recap on time, I’m going to return to an easy breakdown of this week’s highs and lows.
Highs: We’re halfway through the training plan! Eight weeks down, eight weeks left to go. The week’s high is a simple one: another 30 mile week without incident and 3 more Pure Barre classes under my belt. The snow and ice were also largely replaced by rain this week, which wasn’t always my friend (see below), but it meant only one treadmill run and the return of the usual neighborhood explorations. This weekend’s long run also included an accidental meet-up with Lisa, as she joined our group as substitute coach. It was so nice to chat and let the mileage tick down.
Lows: Tuesday’s tempo, as I called it on my Strava, was a “headwind, pouring rain, suck-fest.” Whiny? Yes. Accurate? Yeah! The weather was warm, but it started off drizzling, and the first tempo mile began in a headwind. It seemed that every time I looked at my watch, I was running too fast (and the effort was unsurprisingly too hard) or I was moving too slow. I got the hang of it in the last three miles just in time for it to intermittently pour rain. Overall, the tempo pace felt two notches harder than it should have, and the combination of the weather and the effort shook my morale, but I got it done. At the end of the day, though, I look at those splits and think “not bad” because I considered quitting at least a dozen times and carried on anyway.
- Monday: 4 easy miles on the treadmill > rain
- Tuesday: 1 warm-up mile, 6 miles @ half marathon pace [8:54, 8:53, 8:59, 8:59, 8:49, 8:56], 1 cool-down mile
- Wednesday: (am) 3.2 easy miles, (pm) Pure Barre
- Thursday: 1 mile warm-up, 8 x 600m @ ~8:30 pace [3:07, 3:08, 3:10, 3:09, 3:11, 3:09, 3:10, 3:11], and a short cool-down back to the Pure Barre studio for class
- Friday: Rest day
- Saturday: 10 mile long run
- Sunday: Pure Barre
- Weekly mileage = 30 miles, 3 PB